- Belshazzar breakfast – the last King of Babylon – depicted in paintings by Rembrandt and others.
- Juggernaut – something perceived to be an overwhelming advancing force that seems to crush everything in its path. (Sanskrit origin; Bedford origin: big lorries who come thundering through.)
- Rodomontade – boastful, pretentious, self-indulgent
- Sapphia – somehow related to Sappho, Greek poet
- Ananias – common Jewish name; bible reference?
- Cry peccavi – to confess one’s guilt
- Foam caps – waves in sea with foam at top
- Cats’ Paws (type of wave?) – one of names for capillary waves (i.e. almost imperceptible waves on surface of water)
- Grumous – thick and lumpy similar to clotting blood
- Cats’ paws (re: intelligence) — ?
- Asphodel – member of the lily family
(Taken from E. F. Benson’s Mapp and Lucia mostly.)