- Tar-sores – not really sure. Couldn’t find a useful definition. Any ideas?
- Assegai – a spear usually tipped with iron. (Also a type of southern African tree.)
- Redcaps (Army deserters?) – a member of the military police in UK in this context.
- Osier – willow tree or willow branch
- Sent to a glass home? – “glass home” was another name for a military prison in UK, so perhaps this is referring to someone being caught and then sent to prison?
- Goose Fair – an annual fair held in Nottingham during the first week of October
- Knob-kerrie – a knobbed stick used as a weapon in South Africa
- Fichu – a woman’s lightweight triangular scarf, usually of muslin or lace
- Aigrette – a plume of feathers worn on the head or on a hat
- Cairngorms – a smoky-brown crystalline quartz found in Scotland
(Taken from all over the place, but some from Mrs. Parkington by Louis Bromfield (1942) and some from Agatha Christie’s Murder in Mesopotamia.)