The weather has been unseasonably cool here in the Texas Panhandle, which has been a fantastic treat for us. A couple of weeks ago, we had a record high of 104 and then a few days, later – zoooom down went the temperatures and rain and cool was here! It’s been 50’s for the past few days (as a low) and 60/70s as the high. Wow. Break out the socks!!
And – we even had to put the heating on in the house and wear sweaters at home a few times. Big change from the last few months. I’m crossing my fingers that this cool phase hangs out for a few more days! It’s been cool in my office on campus – so cool, in fact, that I have to wear gloves to warm my little digits so I can work, but not complaining. We had three weeks of internal office temps of more than 85 degrees when the AC wasn’t functioning so I’m ok with cold temps!
Speaking of autumn approaching, here is my new TBR shelf selection for the cooler months ahead…
- Creating a Beautiful Home – Alexandra Stoddard (NF)
- For Her Own Good: Two Centuries of the Experts’ Advice to Women – Barbara Ehrenreich/Deirdre English (NF – history)
- The Mid-Life Crisis: Social Stereotypes from the Telegraph – Victoria Mather and Sue Macartney-Snape (Humor)
- A Walk in the Woods – Bill Bryson (NF – travel)
- Underground America: Narratives of Undocumented Lives – Peter Orner (NF – current affairs)
- My Traitor’s Heart – Rian Malan (NF – current affairs)
- The Victorians – A. N. Wilson (NF – history)
- The Tomb of the Inflatable Pig – John Gimlette (NF – travel)
Our Noise – Jeff Gomez (F)– DNF
- The Color Purple – Alice Walker (F)
- War Brides – NF – repeat title from previous TBR
- England, Their England – A G. McDonald (F)
- Troubles – J. C. Farrell (F)
- House – Tracey Kidder (NF – history)
A Long Long Way – Sebastian Barry (F)– DNF
- The Weight of Heaven – Thrity Umrigar (F)
- Seven by Five – H. E. Bates (F)
No Fond Return of Love – Barbara Pym (F)– READ a diff TBR title but still counts! Absolutely Typical – Victoria Mather and Sue Macartney-Snape (F – humor)–
Progress of previous Summer 2014 TBR was really good (allowing for the caveat that I stray from the list and yet still read TBRs from the shelves…) – 15 titles off the TBR shelves which is great progress, plus some super-good reads! Yearly total: 34 TBRs completed (including 2 DNFs) out of 67 books total. 🙂
Another fall, another turned page: there was something of jubilee in that annual autumnal beginning, as if last year’s mistakes and failures had been wiped clean by summer. ~Wallace Stegner.