(This one is beyond BEARABLE… 🙂 )
- A highly aperitive notice (flyer for a chamber music concert) – a highly appealing break from the duties of normal life sort of thing.
- Ratafia biscuits – small round macaroon-type biscuits
- Leadbetter – type of car but couldn’t find a pic
- Midden – old dump for domestic waste (such as a compost pile)
- “…To switch on the lights, shut the windows, and admit that Christmas Day had insidiously but definitely begun…” – they slept with the windows open? In England? In December?…
- Straw palliasses – large bag made of canvas (or similar) and stuffed with material such as straw, horse hair. Used as a bed at times.
- Eating his tangerine, pig by pig – pig = slices?
- Dissyllable – a word for two syllables
- Meiosis – process when cell divides from one into two into four etc.
- Boak (describing person you’re not very fond of) – from verb to vomit or burp. This was in reference to some people that Mrs. Miniver did not like…
- Skirling plover (bird doing something) – making a shrill wailing sound
- Prognathous – upper or lower jaw is abnormally forward
(Words taken from Mrs. Miniver by Jan Struthers who has quite the vocabulary!)